Although tile roofs tend to be very durable, we still highly recommend scheduling regular tune-ups, especially following particularly poor weather (such as severe storms).
At the very least, you should schedule a tune-up once a year. During a tune-up, we will do a thorough inspection of your roof and do any basic tile roof repair work as needed.
Common Tile Roof Repairs
While tiles are known for their strong resistance to the elements, their overall durability, and their ability to last for years on end, they can still experience damage. Even the smallest issues should be fixed as soon as possible as they can develop into or cause bigger problems that could prove costly. The following are a few of the common tile roof repairs that are often done during a routine roof tune-up:
- Fix damaged tiles – Tile shingles that are damaged will need to be repaired or replaced. Damaged shingles are more prone to letting rainwater leak through the roof, resulting in potential water damage to the underlayment of the roof as well as the interior of your home. Damaged tiles are also much more likely to be blown off since high-powered wind can more easily get underneath the tiles.
- Replace missing tiles – Missing tile shingles will need to be replaced right away since they leave the underlayment exposed to water damage. Missing tiles will also leave the surrounding shingles more exposed to potential damage and blow-offs as well.
- Securing loose tiles – The roof will be closely inspected to identify any tiles that are too loose. These tiles are more prone to being blown off, leaving the roof exposed (as well as potentially becoming a safety risk to anyone or anything below). Tiles that are too loose will be secured back into place.
- Mold removal – Any mold that has started growing on the tiles will need to be removed. Mold can grow very quickly, especially in areas with a lot of rainfall (such as here in Seattle). If mold growth isn’t removed right away, it can spread across your tiles as well as down into the underlayment, where it can compromise the safety of the roof.
- Tile roofs are extremely dangerous to walk on and we do not recommend you climb on your roof to perform any of the above procedures.
Basic tile roof repair done during a routine tune-up can help extend the lifespan of your tile roof. To schedule a roof tune-up or for more information about our tile roof repair services, be sure to contact us at Go Roof Tune Up in Seattle.